Friday, February 26, 2010

Blog Restart: Saving the Cato Institute a lot of money. . . .

Cato Institute: Is There a Place for Gay People in Conservatism and Conservative Politics?

No.

They should've just asked me. I could've saved them a lot of money.

Oh wait, you're talking about the UK. The answer is more like "probably" in that case.

At least they're smart enough to know the answer is "No" as far as the US is concerned. Fuck the Cato Institute in the ear, anyway.

Here's what Jason Kuznicki, a gay Cato employee (WTF?) asked of Maggie Gallagher of the National Organization for Marriage, though:

I got to ask Maggie Gallagher the question I've always wanted to ask her: What do you think that am I supposed to do with my life?

Suppose I found myself in agreement with her. Suppose I concluded that same-sex marriage was corrosive to society. Do I leave my husband? Do I send my adopted daughter back to the state? Enter ex-gay therapy, which isn't likely to work? Tell my whole family that I'm single now, and that Scott shouldn't be welcome at family events? Live my whole life alone, and loveless? Hide? Where is the life I'm supposed to live?

I probably wasn't so articulate at the Cato event, but I do recall Gallagher's very simple answer: "I don't know."

She certainly doesn't, and that's the whole problem with gay conservatism -- there's hardly a life to be lived within it. There's no breathing room. Until social conservatives offer us a better answer than "I don't know," until they offer us a way to be gay, and conservative, and respectable in their eyes, they're not going to find many gay conservatives.


Serious pwnage, but I'm not sure who just got pwned there.

H/T: Dispatches from the Culture Wars.

No comments: