Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Random silly thought: i. Technology and poorly-designed coasters.

Here I am at not quite 4AM, not able to sleep. I get up and pour myself a glass of cold beverage and sit at the kitchen table in the dark seeing if there is anything interesting going on or anyone interesting to talk to (there isn't--it's 4AM after all).

I have these stupid but cool looking coasters like so:



The point of a coaster is to keep from leaving ugly wooden rings on your table that eventually damage the finish. However, the problem with these coasters is that the surface is not quite level. Thus, stumbling about in the poorly lit table for my beverage, I fumbled it and knocked it over, causing a gigantic flood over the rest of the table that damaged two books, ruined a bill, and nearly got whatever-the-beverage-was on my other laptop.

I am reminded about technology in general--ostensibly, it makes our lives easier in some ways, but what it really does is cause a flood of fail all over the world. I wonder if there's anything we can do about it.

No comments: